This updated, low-FODMAP version of the family-friendly classic is every bit as good as the original, and it’s a bit lighter, too, since it uses lean ground turkey in place of beef. The herbed turkey mixture is topped with a blanket of garlicky potatoes and a few generous handfuls of cheese—and it’s impossible to resist.
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
LOW FODMAP TURKEY SHEPHERD’S PIE Ingredients
- 1¼ POUNDS (570 G) LEAN GROUND TURKEY
- 2 TABLESPOONS (28 G) UNSALTED BUTTER OR OLIVE OIL (28 ML)
- ¾ CUP (98 G) CHOPPED CARROTS
- ½ CUP (50 G) CHOPPED CELERY
- ½ CUP (50 G) SLICED SC ALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY)
- 3 TABLESPOONS (30 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- 1½ CUPS (355 ML) CHICKEN BROTH OR CHICKEN STOCK
- 1 TEASPOON POULTRY HERB SEASONING
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 BATCH PARMESAN GARLIC SMASHED POTATOES
- 1 CUP (115 G) SHREDDED COLBY-JACK CHEESE
LOW FODMAP TURKEY SHEPHERD’S PIE Steps
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- Lightly grease a 2½-quart (2.4 L) casserole dish.
- Crumble and brown the ground turkey in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Drain the fat and remove the turkey from skillet.
- Melt the butter in the same skillet.
- Add the carrots, celery, and scallions and sauté over medium heat until tender, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and sprinkle the vegetables with the Basic Flour Blend.
- Slowly whisk in the chicken broth or stock and stir until smooth.
- Cook until thick and bubbly, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked ground turkey and season with the poultry herb
seasoning, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Spread the turkey mixture evenly in the prepared casserole dish. Spoon the smashed potatoes on
top and spread them over the turkey in an even layer.
- Sprinkle with the shredded Colby-Jack cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes until the
cheese is melted and the casserole is hot and bubbly.
- Serve immediately.