If you’re in the market for a tasty vegan alternative to scrambled eggs, look no further. The turmeric gives the tofu a yellow hue, making it look just like eggs, and it’s just as protein-rich and satisfying as eggs are, too. Enjoy this dish in the morning with low-FODMAP toast or for lunch or dinner with a side of rice. Oh, and since ancho chile pepper hasn’t yet been tested for FODMAPs, only use it if you know you can tolerate it (the scramble will still taste amazing without the chile—trust me!).
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
LOW FODMAP TOFU SCRAMBLE RANCHEROS Recipe
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) OLIVE OIL
- ½ CUP (75 G) CHOPPED GREEN BELL PEPPER
- ½ CUP (90 G) CHOPPED TOMATO
- 1 CAN (2.25 OUNCES, OR 62 G) SLICED BL ACK
- OLIVES, DRAINED
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
- ¼ TEASPOON ANCHO CHILE POWDER (OPTIONAL)
- 2 CUPS (496 G) DRAINED, CRUMBLED
- EXTRA-FIRM TOFU
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND TURMERIC
- 2 SCALLIONS (GREENS PART ONLY), SLICED
- ¼ CUP (4 G) CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
LOW FODMAP TOFU SCRAMBLE RANCHEROS Steps
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the green bell pepper and sauté until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the tomato, black olives, kosher salt, black pepper, cumin, and ancho chile powder.
- Add the tofu to the skillet and sprinkle with the turmeric. Cook, stirring gently, until the tofu turns yellow and is heated through about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the sliced scallions and chopped fresh cilantro and serve immediately.