This recipe was born out of that question so often asked in kitchens late in the day… “It’s 5:30pm already? What am I going to cook for dinner?”
A busy day had left me with no time to plan or shop for our evening meal, so I just had to make do with what was in my fridge already. However, I have been learning more lately that this scenario is good for me; I just have to get my thinking cap on, be a little creative and not rely on the supermarket just down the road, which in turn means less money spent needlessly.
Rice is a staple for most, especially those of us going low FODMAP. I often reach for Basmati rice as it has a lower glycemic index, which means keeping tummies satisfied for longer. A Chinese-style fried rice is always a winner in my household, so much so that it made it into The low FODMAP cookbook.
But this day I was looking for something a little different. I had some baby spinach in the crisper that was crying out to be used, the usual carrots and a little pumpkin. My mum had left me with a bowlful of limes which would fit beautifully with some other Asian flavours.
I love omelette in my rice. On this occasion however, I hadn’t been planning to add the eggs. But G arrived home before I was finished cooking and insisted “there must be eggs”, so the omelette was added.
The vegies gently sizzled in the pan before the flavours were added; lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and just a little brown sugar to balance it out. Have a taste and add a little more of whatever you need to make it right for you.
The rice was steam and tossed into the pan at the last minute, along with the omelette. Would you believe dinner was ready not much after 6pm?
Low Fodmap Stir-fried Rice Recipe
serves 4 or 5 as a side
- 1 ¼ cups basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 medium carrot
- 75g pumpkin, about the same amount as the carrot
- 65g baby spinach, or a couple of handfuls
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- juice of half a lime
Low Fodmap Stir-fried Rice Steps
- Cook rice, preferably by the absorption method. Set aside.
- Dice the carrots. Cut the pumpkin into ½cm slices and then into bite-sized pieces. Finely chop the spinach.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a wok or large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add eggs to pan and swirl around to create a large omelette. Cook until just set then roll up and remove from the pan. Slice into thin strips.
- Heat remaining oil to pan and cook the carrot and pumpkin over meium heat until tender, around 5 minutes. Add spinach, sauces, sugar and lime juice, cooking until spinach has wilted. Add the rice and stir until well combined. Toss through the sliced omelette.