YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
If you haven’t tried flat iron steak before, now’s the time. It’s a shoulder cut, so it’s more economical
than popular cuts like ribeye, and but it’s still tender and flavorful. And the low-FODMAP chimichurri
sauce, made with parsley, cilantro, and garlic oil, is fabulous with grilled meat.
LOW FODMAP GRILLED STEAK WITH CHIMICHURRI Ingredients
- ¾ CUP (175 ML) HOMEMADE GARLIC OLIVE OIL
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 ML) RICE WINE VINEGAR, DIVIDED
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT, DIVIDED
- 1 TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER, DIVIDED
- 1 POUND (455 G) FLAT IRON STEAKS
- 1 CUP (60 G) PACKED FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY
- ¼ CUP (4 G) FRESH CILANTRO LEAVES
- 1 TABLESPOON (4 G) FRESH OREGANO, OR 1 TEASPOON DRIED
LOW FODMAP GRILLED STEAK WITH CHIMICHURRI Steps
- Pour ¼ cup (60 ml) of the garlic oil into a large resealable plastic bag (refrigerate the remainder
for later use in the chimichurri sauce).
- Add 2 tablespoons (28 ml) of the rice wine vinegar, ½ teaspoon of kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon of
- Gently shake the bag to combine the ingredients.
- Add the steaks to the bag and shake to coat the meat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
- Let the steaks come to room temperature (about 1 hour) before grilling.
- Prepare the chimichurri sauce by finely chopping the parsley and cilantro in a food processor.
- Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in the remaining ½ cup (120 ml) garlic oil,
the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) rice wine vinegar, the oregano, and the remaining ½ teaspoon
kosher salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat the grill to high.
- Grill the steak fillets for 4 to 5 minutes per side until they reach an internal
the temperature of 135°F (57°C) for medium rare.
- Serve with the chimichurri sauce.