When it comes to meat-based mains, your slow cooker should be your best friend. It does all the hard work for you—and plus, slow-cooked meat is fall-off-the-bone tender. Use chicken thighs instead of breasts in this recipe since they stay so moist in the slow cooker. When dinner’s ready, spoon the chicken with its lemon-and-olive-laden sauce over basmati rice and serve with a side salad.
LOW FODMAP SLOW COOKER LEMON OLIVE CHICKEN Ingredients
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
- 1½ POUNDS (680 G) BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS
- ½ TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) OLIVE OIL
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC, PEELED AND SMASHED, BUT KEPT WHOLE
- ¼ CUP (60 ML) DRY WHITE WINE OR CHICKEN BROTH
- 1½ CUPS (355 ML) CHICKEN STOCK OR CHICKEN BROTH
- ½ TEASPOON GRATED LEMON ZEST
- 2 TABLESPOONS (28 ML) FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 2 TEASPOONS DRIED BASIL
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO
- ½ CUP (85 G) KALAMATA OLIVES, PITTED, DRAINED, AND HALVED
- 2 TABLESPOONS (20 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- ¼ CUP (60 ML) WATERCOOKED BASMATI RICE, FOR SERVING
- ¼ CUP (15 G) CHOPPED FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY
LOW FODMAP SLOW COOKER LEMON OLIVE CHICKEN Steps
- Season the chicken thighs with the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Remove the garlic from the skillet and discard.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and brown it, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Deglaze the skillet by adding the white wine or chicken broth to the skillet and scraping
up any brown bits on the bottom.
- Pour this mixture into the slow cooker, onto the chicken.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken stock or broth, lemon zest, lemon juice, basil,
and oregano and pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with the Kalamata olives. Cover and cook on the low setting for 7 to 8 hours or
on the high setting for 3 to 4 hours.
- When the chicken is done, make a slurry by stirring the Basic Flour Blend and water together in a small bowl.
- Slowly pour into the liquid in the slow cooker, while constantly stirring.
- Turn the slow cooker to high.
- Continue cooking for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is thickened.
- The chicken will be very tender, and you can break it apart into smaller pieces if desired.
- Season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve over basmati rice and sprinkle with the chopped fresh parsley.