YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
Lamb works perfectly with the Indian-inspired spices featured in this recipe (but if you’re not a fan of lamb, beef works just as well).
Coriander adds a wonderful earthiness to the dish. Spoon this stew over basmati rice.
LOW FODMAP CURRIED LAMB STEW Ingredients
- 1 POUND (455 G) LAMB (OR BEEF) STEW MEAT, CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) CUBES
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 2 TABLESPOONS (20 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND, DIVIDED
- 2 TABLESPOONS (28 ML) OLIVE OIL
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC
- 1½ CUPS (355 ML) BEEF STOCK (PAGE 111)
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CORIANDER
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND GINGER
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND TURMERIC
- ⅛ TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- PINCH OF GROUND RED CHILE PEPPER (OPTIONAL)
- 2 CARROTS, PEELED AND CHOPPED INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) PIECES
- 1 BUNCH OF SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY), SLICED
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) WATER STEAMED BASMATI RICE, FOR SERVING
- ½ CUP (8 G) CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO OR ITALIAN PARSLEY
LOW FODMAP CURRIED LAMB STEW Steps
- Toss the lamb with the kosher salt, black pepper, and 1 tablespoon (10 g) of the Basic Flour Blend
in a large resealable plastic bag.
- Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté until it starts to brown.
- Remove the garlic from the skillet and discard.
- Add the stew meat to the pot and brown on all sides.
- Remove the meat from the pot and drain any excess fat.
- Wipe the pot clean with a paper towel.
- Return the meat to the pot and stir in the beef stock, coriander (if using), cumin, ginger, turmeric, cinnamon,
and red pepper (if using). Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the carrots and scallions and simmer covered for 30 minutes more or until the meat
and carrots are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1 tablespoon (10 g) Basic Flour Blend with the 1 tablespoon (15 ml) water.
- Pour this flour mixture into the stew, while constantly stirring.
- Cook for a few minutes until thickened and bubbly.
- Season with more kosher salt and black pepper, if desired.
- Serve hot over basmati rice and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley.