YIELD: ABOUT 16 COOKIES
Low FODMAP take on classic Italian biscotti turns out cookies that are light, crisp, and perfect for dunking into all sorts of hot beverages.
LOW FODMAP GINGERBREAD BISCOTTI Ingredients
- 1¼ CUPS (203 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND (PAGE 38)
- 2 TEASPOONS GROUND CHIA SEEDS
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND GINGER
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG
- ¼ TEASPOON SALT
- ⅛ TEASPOON GROUND CLOVES
- 1 LARGE EGG
- ½ CUP (115 G) PACKED DARK BROWN SUGAR
- ½ CUP (60 G) CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- 2 TEASPOONS WATER
LOW FODMAP GINGERBREAD BISCOTTI Steps
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C, or gas mark 3).
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Basic Flour Blend, chia seeds, baking powder, ginger,
cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and ground cloves.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, beat the egg until frothy.
- Add the brown sugar and beat until glossy.
- Turn the mixer to low and slowly add the flour mixture.
- Continue to mix until the flour is well incorporated; the dough will be soft and slightly sticky.
- Shape the dough into a round log about 8 inches (20 cm) long, flattening the top of the log slightly.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the top is firm to the touch and lightly browned.
- Remove the log from the oven and let it cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Then slice it diagonally into ½-inch (1.3 cm) slices.
- Carefully turn each slice over onto its side and place it cut side down on the cookie sheet.
- Return to the oven and bake the slices for 8 minutes.
- Turn each slice over onto the other cut side and bake for another 6 to 8 minutes until lightly browned.
- Let the biscotti cool for at least 5 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring them to the wire rack.
- To make the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and water.
- Drizzle over the cooled biscotti.