YIELD: 20 CRACKERS
You’d think that graham crackers would be out of the question on a low-FODMAP eating plan. After all, Graham is a type of wheat flour, and that means, unfortunately, that it’s not a low-FODMAP food. I came up with a recipe that comes pretty close to the traditional graham crackers you’ve loved since kindergarten.
LOW FODMAP GRAHAM-STYLE CRACKERS Ingredients
- 2 CUPS (324 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- ⅓ CUP (75 G) PACKED BROWN SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- ½ TEASPOON SALT
- ¼ TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- 4 TABLESPOONS (55 G) UNSALTED BUTTER OR
- VEGAN MARGARINE, CHILLED
- ¼ CUP (60 ML) PURE MAPLE SYRUP
- 1 TEASPOON PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) WATER, PLUS MORE IF NEEDED
LOW FODMAP GRAHAM-STYLE CRACKERS Steps
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C, or gas mark 3).
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the Basic Flour Blend,
brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, cut in the butter until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, vanilla, and water.
- Add to the flour mixture. Using your hands, work the mixture until it comes together
in a soft, pliable dough.
- Add more water, a teaspoon at a time, if needed, to make a pliable dough.
- Roll the dough out on a well-floured surface (using the flour blend) or between sheets of
parchment paper to a ⅛-inch (3 mm) thickness.
- Cut into 2 x 3-inch (5 x 7.5 cm) rectangles and transfer to the prepared cookie sheet, placing
each rectangle ½ inch (1.2 cm) apart. Prick with a fork, if desired.
- Bake for 26 to 28 minutes until the edges turn golden brown.
- Let the crackers cool for 1 to 2 minutes on the cookie sheet before transferring them to a wire rack.