YIELD: 16 BARS
Coconut gussies up the zesty lemon in these sweet and tart dessert bars. They’ve got a crust that’s
made with virgin coconut oil, and they’re dressed up with a topping of toasted flaked coconut.
LOW FODMAP COCONUT LEMON BARS Ingredients
- 1½ CUPS (243 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- ½ CUP (60 G) CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON GRATED LEMON ZEST
- ¼ TEASPOON SALT
- ½ CUP (113 G) VIRGIN COCONUT OIL
- ¼ CUP (20 G) UNSWEETENED FLAKED COCONUT
- ¼ CUP (60 ML) PLUS 1 TO 2 TEASPOONS WATER, DIVIDED
- ¾ CUP (150 G) GRANULATED SUGAR
- 2 TABLESPOONS (16 G) CORNSTARCH
- 2 LARGE EGGS
- 1 LARGE EGG YOLK
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 ML) FRESH LEMON JUICE
LOW FODMAP COCONUT LEMON BARS Steps
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- Line an 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Stir together the Basic Flour Blend, confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest, and salt.
- Cut in the coconut oil until crumbly.
- Put ⅓ cup (85 g) of this mixture into a small bowl and stir in the coconut flakes.
- Set this aside for the topping.
- To the remaining coconut oil mixture, add the water, a teaspoon at a time, working the dough with
your hands until the mixture starts to come together.
- Press into the bottom of the pan and bake for 14 to 16 minutes until the crust starts to brown.
- In a large saucepan, combine the granulated sugar and cornstarch. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs
and egg yolk well.
- Stir in the ¼ cup (60 ml) water and the lemon juice.
- Pour this mixture into the saucepan with the sugar and cornstarch.
- Cook, while constantly stirring, over medium heat just until thickened and bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the baked crust and sprinkle evenly with the reserved topping mixture.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until the coconut is lightly toasted.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.