YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
You’ve got to make a batch of this fluffy, flavorful rice.
It’s one of my all-time favorites. Are you not a fan of cilantro?
(Some folks are turned off by a perceived “soapy” taste.) That’s no problem: Parsley works just as well in its place.
LOW FODMAP CILANTRO LIME RICE Ingredients
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) OLIVE OIL
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC, PEELED
- 1 CUP (192 G) WHITE BASMATI RICE (OR LONG-GRAIN WHITE RICE)
- 1½ CUPS (355 ML) WATER
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ¼ CUP (4 G) CHOPPED FRESH CILANTRO
- 3 SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY), SLICED
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) FRESH LIME JUICE
- ¼ TEASPOON GRATED LIME ZEST
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CUMIN
- ¼ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
LOW FODMAP CILANTRO LIME RICE Steps
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until it starts to brown.
- Remove and discard the garlic.
- Add the rice to the oil in the saucepan and sauté until the rice is very lightly toasted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the water and kosher salt.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until the water is mostly absorbed.
- Keeping the pan covered, remove it from the heat and let sit for 10 to 15 minutes to steam.
- Stir in the chopped fresh cilantro, sliced scallions, lime juice, lime zest, cumin, and black pepper.
- Serve hot.