This is a really filling dish and great for entertaining as the recipe makes enough for 3 or 4 people. I use a hand blender to make the sauce but don’t worry if you don’t have one, you can just chop everything up really small – it’s still delicious!
For the stir fry:
- 10ml vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 pepper (I used a normal yellow bell pepper)
- 1/2 large carrot or 1 small carrot
- 200g bean sprouts
- 4 spring onions / scallions (green part only)
- Around 4 or 5 leaves of pak choi
- Rice noodles (whichever brand or style you prefer)
For the sauce:
- 1 green chili
- 1cm piece of ginger
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp castor sugar
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 30–100ml almond milk, depending on how thick you want your sauce. Other kinds of lactose-free milk can be used if you prefer.
- First we need to prepare the ingredients. De-seed the pepper and chop into strips and set aside. Peel and chop the carrot, use a julienne peeler if you have one, and set aside with the beansprouts. Chop the pack choi and spring onion and keep together, separate from the other veggies. Cut the chicken breasts into cubes last and keep separate from the rest of the ingredients.
- Next, we’ll make the sauce. You’ll need a blender if you have one, but don’t worry if not. Remove the seeds from the chili and chop it along with the ginger. Place into the blender (or jug if you have a hand blender) and add the rest of the sauce ingredients. Blend on high speed until smooth. If you don’t have a blender, then grate the ginger and chop the chili as small as possible. Add more milk if it’s too thick for you.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat for about a minute. Add the chicken, and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the pepper next and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Next add the beansprouts and carrot. Fry for 2 minutes.
- The pak choi and spring onions are added and cooked for a 2 further minutes.
- While all the chicken and veg is frying, cook the noodles as per the packet instructions. Mine just needed to sit in a bowl of boiled water for 10 mins, so I left them to soften while I fried all the veg.
- Drain the noodles and add to the veg and chicken in the pan.
- To finish, pour in the sauce and stir so that all ingredients are evenly covered.
- Take off the heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 564
Keywords: Low FODMAP