YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
This low-FODMAP pot pie is the antidote to the cold-weather blues. It’s hearty and substantial, but if you prefer something with less fat, you can serve the chicken filling over steamed rice or gluten-free pasta in
place of the biscuit crust.
LOW FODMAP SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE Ingredients
- Biscuit Topping
- 1½ CUPS (243 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- 2 TEASPOONS SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- ½ TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- 4 TABLESPOONS (55 G) UNSALTED BUTTER
- ½ CUP (120 ML) LACTOSE-FREE OR NONDAIRY MILK Chicken Filling
- 2 TABLESPOONS (28 ML) OLIVE OIL, DIVIDED
- 4 BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN THIGHS, CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) PIECES
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT, DIVIDED
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER, DIVIDED
- ½ CUP (50 G) SLICED SC ALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY)
- 1 STALK OF CELERY, THINLY SLICED
- 1 CUP (130 G) THINLY SLICED CARROTS
- 1½ CUPS (355 ML) UNSALTED CHICKEN STOCK OR CHICKEN BROTH
- 1 TEASPOON POULTRY HERB SEASONING
- ½ CUP (120 ML) LACTOSE-FREE OR NONDAIRY MILK
- 2 TABLESPOONS (20 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
LOW FODMAP SKILLET CHICKEN POT PIE Steps
- To prepare the biscuit dough, in a large bowl, whisk together the Basic Flour Blend, sugar,
baking powder, and kosher salt.
- Cut in the butter until crumbly.
- Pour in the milk and mix until all of the flour is incorporated. Set aside.
- To prepare the filling, preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- In a large cast-iron or ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tablespoon (15 ml) of olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon each of the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken and cook until browned and cooked through about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon (15 ml) olive oil.
- Sauté the scallions and celery until slightly tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Stir in the poultry herb seasoning and the remaining kosher salt and black pepper.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and Basic Flour Blend.
- Slowly pour into the chicken stock or broth and vegetables in the skillet, while stirring constantly.
- Stir until thickened. Stir in the browned chicken.
- Place dollops of biscuit dough evenly on top of the chicken filling.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 15 to 17 minutes until the biscuit topping is lightly
browned and the chicken filling is bubbling.
- Serve hot.