YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
Quick and easy enough for a weeknight meal but elegant and delicious enough for company, this chicken and pasta dish is sure to become one of your favorites. Since cream contains lactose, I’ve replaced it with a mixture of lactose-free milk and my Basic Flour Blend, which thickens it up nicely.
LOW FODMAP CHICKEN PENNE IN TOMATO AND BASIL CREAM SAUCE Ingredients
- 2 CUPS (224 G) GLUTEN-FREE BROWN RICE PENNE PASTA
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) OLIVE OIL
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC, PEELED AND SMASHED, BUT KEPT WHOLE
- 1 POUND (455 G) BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS, CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) CUBES
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT, DIVIDED
- 1 TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER, DIVIDED
- 1 TABLESPOON (14 G) UNSALTED BUTTER
- ½ OF A BUNCH OF SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY), SLICED
- 1 CAN (14½ OUNCES, OR 410 G) UNSALTED DICED TOMATOES, UNDRAINED
- ½ CUP (20 G) CHOPPED FRESH BASIL, OR 1 TABLESPOON (2 G) DRIED
- ½ CUP (120 ML) LACTOSE-FREE MILK
- 2 TEASPOONS BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- ¼ CUP (25 G) GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
LOW FODMAP CHICKEN PENNE IN TOMATO AND BASIL CREAM SAUCE Steps
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Drain again.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until it starts to sizzle.
- Continue to cook for 1½ to 2 minutes more or just until the garlic starts to brown.
- Remove the garlic and discard.
- Season the chicken with ½ teaspoon each of the kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the chicken to the hot skillet and sauté over medium-high heat until
browned and cooked through, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium and melt the butter.
- Add the scallions and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and basil and then
increase the heat to medium-high.
- Simmer until the liquid is almost all absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the milk and Basic Flour Blend, stirring until smooth.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture into the skillet, while stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook and stir until thickened.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and chicken and cook until heated through.
- Season with the remaining ½ teaspoon each kosher salt and black pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with the Parmesan cheese.