YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
This classic recipe gets a wheat-free makeover when you use finely chopped walnuts to “bread” the chicken—and since the chicken is baked instead of fried, it’s healthier and lower in fat than the traditional version.
LOW FODMAP WALNUT-CRUSTED CHICKEN PARMESAN Ingredients
- ¼ CUP (30 G) FINELY CHOPPED WALNUTS
- ¼ CUP (25 G) GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
- 1 TEASPOON ITALIAN HERB SEASONING (PAGE 40)
- ¼ TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ¼ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 4 THIN BONELESS, SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS (1 TO 1½ POUNDS, OR 455 TO 680 G)
- 1 TABLESPOON (14 G) UNSALTED BUTTER, MELTED
- ¼ CUP (60 ML) CLASSIC TOMATO PIZZA SAUCE
- ¼ CUP (30 G) SHREDDED MOZZARELLA CHEESE
LOW FODMAP WALNUT-CRUSTED CHICKEN PARMESAN Steps
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6).
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the chopped walnuts, Parmesan cheese, Italian herb seasoning, kosher salt, and
black pepper in a small bowl.
- Spread the mixture out on a plate. Lightly brush each chicken breast with the melted
butter and then dip them into the chopped walnut mixture, lightly pressing down so that
the walnut “crumbs” stick.
- Place the chicken in the baking pan.
- Sprinkle any remaining mixture over the top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and lightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, spread each breast with a tablespoon (15 ml) of the Classic Tomato Pizza
Sauce, and sprinkle evenly with the shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 5 more minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot.