YIELD: 12 SERVINGS
Since cream cheese is high in lactose, this low-FODMAP version skips the standard cream cheese–laden frosting in favor of a rich, vanilla-tinged brown butter glaze that isn’t overwhelmingly sweet. It’s the perfect complement to the spiced cake.
LOW FODMAP CARROT CAKE Ingredients
- 1¼ CUPS (203 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- 1 TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- ½ TEASPOON BAKING POWDER
- ½ TEASPOON BAKING SODA
- ¼ TEASPOON SALT
- ¼ TEASPOON GROUND NUTMEG
- 2 LARGE EGGS
- ½ CUP (100 G) GRANULATED SUGAR
- ¼ CUP (60 G) PACKED BROWN SUGAR
- ⅓ CUP (80 ML) CANOLA OIL OR OTHER NEUTRAL OIL
- 2 CUPS (220 G) SHREDDED CARROTS
- 3 TABLESPOONS (42 G) UNSALTED BUTTER
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) LACTOSE-FREE MILK, PLUS MORE IF NEEDED
- ½ TEASPOON PURE VANILLA EXTRACT
- 1 CUP (120 G) CONFECTIONERS’ SUGAR
LOW FODMAP CARROT CAKE GLAZE Steps
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- Line a 9-inch (23 cm) round cake pan with parchment paper and spray the sides with cooking spray.
- To make the cake, in a medium bowl, stir together the Basic Flour Blend, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and canola oil.
- Beat in the shredded carrots.
- Add the flour mixture and blend well.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack before turning it out onto a serving platter.
- To make the glaze, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Continue to cook until the butter is lightly browned, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Add the confectioners’ sugar and stir until smooth.
- Add more milk, a teaspoon at a time, until the mixture reaches a pouring consistency.
- Pour over the plated cake and spread the glaze out using a spatula.