YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
There’s nothing better than a good Caesar salad—and this one is pretty darn good if I do say so myself!.
Use Homemade Garlic Oil (page 42) to add a hint of garlic flavour and don’t skip the anchovy paste: It adds umami or savoriness, and it goes so well with Parmesan cheese. Be aware that anchovy paste has not been tested for FODMAPs, so be sure to check the product label for FODMAP ingredients.
Use your favourite gluten-free, low-FODMAP bread, either store-bought or homemade, to make the croutons.
LOW FODMAP CAESAR SALAD Ingredients
- 2 SLICES OF GLUTEN-FREE SANDWICH, BREAD CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) SQUARES
- 3 TABLESPOONS (45 ML) HOMEMADE GARLIC OIL MADE WITH OLIVE OIL, DIVIDED
- ½ TEASPOON ITALIAN HERB SEASONING
- 2 PINCHES OF KOSHER SALT
- 2 TABLESPOONS (28 G) LIGHT MAYONNAISE
- 4 TEASPOONS (20 ML) FRESH LEMON JUICE
- 1 TEASPOON DIJON MUSTARD
- ½ TEASPOON ANCHOVY PASTE (CHECK PRODUCT INGREDIENTS FOR FODMAPS)
- ¼ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER PINCH OF KOSHER SALT
- 6 CUPS (282 G) TORN ROMAINE HEARTS
- ¼ CUP (25 G) GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
LOW FODMAP CAESAR SALAD Steps
- Preheat the oven to 300°F (150°C, or gas mark 2). To make the croutons, place the bread pieces in a shallow baking dish.
- Toss with 1 tablespoon (15 ml) (or less, if desired) of the garlic oil, the Italian herb seasoning, and a pinch of kosher salt. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring several times until the bread is lightly toasted. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining 2 tablespoons (28 ml) garlic oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, anchovy paste, black pepper, and the remaining pinch of kosher salt.
- Add the Romaine lettuce, Parmesan cheese, and croutons to the bowl with the dressing and toss. Serve immediately.