This Low FODMAP Chicken Curry is deliciously creamy and spicy, and pretty healthy too. It can be served with rice, or your favourite vegetable side dish, like potatoes or spinach. You can also add other vegetables to the sauce, like peppers or the green part of spring onions, for a little bit more crunch. The recipe is a fair bit of work but it’s definitely worth it – once you have all the ingredients in your cupboard, it’s super simple to knock this curry up again and again. I hope you like it!
Butter Chicken Curry Ingredients
Preparation time: 1 hour
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 2 or 3
- 2 chicken breasts
For the marinade:
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
For the sauce:
- 2 tins chopped or 500g fresh tomatoes
- 160ml coconut milk or lactose free cream or yoghurt
- Tbsp olive oil
- 6 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 5 cm fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilli (optional)
- Fresh coriander (optional)
Butter Chicken Curry Instructions
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut the chicken breasts into small pieces and place into the bowl with the marinade mixture. Stir well with your hands and leave the chicken to marinate for a few hours or overnight if you have time.
- Cook the chicken in the oven at 200°C for 12 – 15 minutes, until just cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking you can start to make the sauce. First, if you are using fresh tomatoes, cut them in half, scoop out the seeds with a teaspoon and roughly chop. Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and add the tomatoes, ginger, chilli (if you are using) and cardamom, cooking until the tomatoes are soft and pulpy.
- Leave the mixture to cool then puree in a blender until smooth. You can also pass it puree through a sieve if you like.
- Finally, combine the sauce and the cooked chicken in the pan. Bring to a simmer and the add coconut milk or lactose free cream or yoghurt and fresh coriander if you have it. Cook over low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Serve with rice or vegetables of your choice.