Think of this casserole as your favourite fast-food meal in a single dish—minus the processed, wheat-based bun and all the grease, of course! It was inspired by my mother-in-law’s recipe for a Tater Tot hot dish, but to ensure that it’s low-FODMAP, I whip up a quick béchamel-type sauce to use in place of condensed cream of mushroom soup. Be sure to check the ingredients list on the frozen French fries for FODMAPs.
If you can’t find any suitable fries, just make your own: Cut fresh potatoes into fry-size pieces and toss them with a little olive oil.
YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
LOW FODMAP CHEESEBURGER AND FRIES CASSEROLE Ingredients
- 1 POUND (455 G) GROUND BEEF
- 1 TABLESPOON (14 G) UNSALTED BUTTER OR MARGARINE
- 2 SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY), SLICED
- 1 CUP (235 ML) BEEF STOCK, CHICKEN BROTH, OR VEGETABLE BROTH
- ½ CUP (120 ML) LACTOSE-FREE OR NONDAIRY MILK
- 3 TABLESPOONS (30 G) BASIC FLOUR BLEND
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND MUSTARD
- ¼ TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ¼ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 CUP (120 G) SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE
- 1 PACKAGE (1 POUND, OR 455 G) CRINKLE-CUT
- FROZEN FRENCH FRIES
- 1 CUP (245 G) UNSALTED 100% TOMATO SAUCE
- ½ CUP (120 ML) RICE WINE VINEGAR
- ⅓ CUP (67 G) SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
LOW FODMAP CHEESEBURGER AND FRIES CASSEROLE Steps
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7).
- Lightly grease a 2-quart (1.9 L) baking or casserole dish.
- Brown the beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat until no longer pink.
- Transfer the cooked beef to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Set aside.
- Return the skillet to the heat and melt the butter over medium heat.
- Cook the scallions in the butter until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the stock or broth and bring to a simmer.
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the milk and Basic Flour Blend.
- While constantly stirring, slowly pour the milk mixture into the skillet.
- Continue to cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in the ground mustard, kosher salt, and black pepper.
- Add the beef back to the skillet and stir into the sauce.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheddar cheese.
- Top with the frozen fries, spreading them out to cover the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the fries are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the ketchup.
- Combine the tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, sugar, and kosher salt in a medium saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Simmer over low heat until thickened, about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve alongside, or drizzled on top of, the casserole.