YIELD: 6 SERVINGS
Several years ago, I learned that the best way to prepare brown rice is by baking it.
Other methods, like boiling, usually left me with undercooked rice with a pasty texture—but baking the rice makes it perfectly tender and fluffy every time.
Dress it up with herbs, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts and serve with grilled chicken or fish.
LOW FODMAP BAKED BROWN RICE WITH PARMESAN AND HERBS Ingredients
- 1½ CUPS (294 G) BROWN BASMATI RICE
- 2 TEASPOONS DRIED BASIL
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED THYME
- 1 TEASPOON KOSHER SALT
- ½ TEASPOON FRESHLY GROUND BLACK PEPPER
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) OLIVE OIL
- 1 CLOVE OF GARLIC, PEELED AND SMASHED,
- BUT KEPT WHOLE
- 1⅓ CUPS (315 ML) WATER
- 1 CUP (235 ML) CHICKEN STOCK OR CHICKEN BROTH (PAGE 109 OR 110)
- ⅓ CUP (45 G) PINE NUTS, TOASTED
- ¼ CUP (15 G) CHOPPED FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY
- ¼ CUP (25 G) SLICED SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY)
- ¼ CUP (25 G) GRATED PARMESAN CHEESE
LOW FODMAP BAKED BROWN RICE WITH PARMESAN AND HERBS Steps
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C, or gas mark 5).
- Combine the brown rice, basil, thyme, kosher salt, and black pepper in a 2½-quart (2.4 L) casserole dish.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the garlic and cook until it starts to brown.
- Remove and discard the garlic.
- Add the water and chicken stock or broth to the pan, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and carefully pour the liquid into the casserole dish with the rice and seasonings.
- Cover the dish and bake for 1 hour or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Fluff the rice and then stir in the pine nuts, chopped fresh parsley, sliced scallions, and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.