YIELD: ABOUT 2 QUARTS (1.9 L)
When it comes to beef stock, there’s a simple trick that will ensure a rich, flavorful result: Roast the bones
first. Roasting may require a little extra time, but the process is so simple, and it’s worth it since the browned
bits add such color and depth to the broth. Prepackaged soup bones can sometimes be found in the meat
department of the grocery store. If you don’t see them there, inquire at the meat counter.
LOW FODMAP BEEF STOCK Ingredients
- 3 TO 4 POUNDS (1.4 TO 1.8 KG) BEEF MARROW SOUP BONES
- 2 CARROTS, CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) PIECES
- ½ CUP (120 ML) WATER
- 1 STALK OF CELERY, CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) PIECES (OR JUST USE THE LEAVES AND NOT THE
STALKS IF YOU ARE SENSITIVE TO CELERY)
- 1 BUNCH OF SCALLIONS (GREEN PARTS ONLY),
CUT INTO 1-INCH (2.5 CM) PIECES
- 6 SPRIGS OF FRESH ITALIAN PARSLEY
- 3 BAY LEAVES
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 ML) VINEGAR
- 1 TEASPOON DRIED THYME OR 1 SPRIG FRESH
- ¼ TEASPOON WHOLE BLACK PEPPERCORNS
LOW FODMAP BEEF STOCK Steps
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (230°C, or gas mark 8).
- Combine the bones and carrots in a large roasting
pan. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes, turning the bones and carrots occasionally.
- Using tongs, transfer the bones and carrots to a large stockpot.
- Drain the fat from the roasting pan and discard.
- Pour the ½ cup (120 ml) water into the roasting pan and scrape up the browned
bits using a wooden spoon.
- Pour this into the stockpot as well.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients to the stockpot and then add enough water to completely
cover the bones.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and cook just below a simmer for 4 to 5 hours, or even longer if desired, adding more water if needed
to keep the bones covered.
- Strain the stock through a fine-mesh sieve or a colander lined with cheesecloth.
- Cool the stock and transfer it to the refrigerator.
- Let it chill overnight.
- Skim the solid fat off the top.
- Either use the stock right away, store in the fridge for a couple of days, or freeze in portions of different sizes so it’s
ready to be used in your favourite recipes.