This is a great wintertime breakfast, and you’ll love it, too, especially if you’re a banana bread fiend. It’ll keep you going all morning long, and it’s so warm and comforting. Rice makes a wonderful porridge, and it reminds
me of rice pudding, one of my favourite desserts. Plus, it’s healthier than it tastes: The brown rice lends it a hefty dose of fibre. If you don’t have much time in the morning, you can make it the night before and reheat it in the microwave before you rush out the door.
YIELD: 2 SERVINGS
LOW FODMAP BANANA BREAD BROWN RICE PORRIDGE Recipe
- 1 MEDIUM BANANA, MASHED
- 2 CUPS (475 ML) WATER
- 1 CUP (235 ML) LIGHT CANNED COCONUT MILK (OR LACTOSE-FREE COW’S MILK)
- ½ CUP (95 G) BROWN RICE
- 1 TABLESPOON (15 G) BROWN SUGAR
- 1 TEASPOON PURE VANILLA EXTRACT PINCH OF SALT
- ½ TEASPOON GROUND CINNAMON
- 2 TABLESPOONS (15 G) CHOPPED TOASTED WALNUTS
LOW FODMAP BANANA BREAD BROWN RICE PORRIDGE Steps
- Combine the mashed banana, water, and coconut milk in a large saucepan. Stir in the brown rice, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 30 to 40 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Stir in the cinnamon and serve with the chopped walnuts sprinkled on top.